I know your looking forward to Spring & still trying to shake off the cold, but it’s time for the Troop 410 families to consider their options for Boy Scout Summer Camp.
As usual we will be attending the Ten Mile River Scout Camp which is a 10,000 acre facility near Narrowsburg, NY containing several individual camps for Scouts and their families. The specific camp we will attend is Camp Aquahunga – https://www.tenmileriver.org/aq from Sunday July 31st through Saturday August 6th.
We encourage all families to consider summer camp for their Scouts. Summer Camp is a GREAT time for Scouts to complete multiple merit badges to get a head start on rank advancements, immerse themselves in the Scouting experience, gain some personal confidence and independence, and to bond with their fellow Scouts. Attached is an old Merit badge list from Aquahunga (they haven’t released their list or schedule for this summer as yet) to show you the merit badge options at camp. The breadth of offering is vast and includes several that are required for attaining the rank of Eagle.
- I will be contacting you in the next couple of weeks with dates for our Pre-Camp Meetings where we can discuss questions and go over documentation regarding summer camp.
- Attached is a map of the camps at TMR. On the Aquahunga map, you will see camp sites 7a & 7b. These are ours. The boys have site 7a and the adults have site 7b.
- The Troop will provide transportation via bus to and from TMR. We all meet at the Ocean Ave Elementary School on Sunday July 31st at 9 am to see the boys off, and the bus will return them on the following Saturday afternoon.
- If possible, please give me your commitment to Summer Camp by our COH meeting this week on March 31st. Please come to any of the next few meetings with the attached permission slip completed and signed and start paying your deposits. I need the permission slip signed & turned in by April 5th.
- The cost for Scout Camp is $390 per camper if completely paid by May 31st. After May 31st, the cost rises to $420 per camper. In order to get this discount for everybody this year, we are instituting the following pay schedule:
- Initial Deposit $100 – Due by April 12th
- 2nd Payment $100 – Due by May 3rd
- Final Payment $90 – Due by May 24th
- All scouts and attending adults have to have BSA medical forms filled out and signed by a doctor in order to attend Summer Camp. All med-forms are due by Friday July 22nd. Attached is a BSA med-form PDF as well as a Meningitis Response Form which has to be filled out for each attending Scout.
- Parents & Leaders, we will need adult representation at TMR for supervision. Traditionally we look for several adults to attend Sunday – Wednesday, and several others to attend Wednesday – Saturday. This is a great opportunity to spend time with your son and other adults in the Troop. There is limited cell service, the there is a 24/7 a/c leaders lounge with coffee & wifi. While the boys are all out attending merit badges, you will have time to check in with the office, make calls, follow up on commitments, etc. You can also go for hikes, runs, bike rides, read or NAP. The time is yours, please volunteer it on your son’s behalf.